Photo by Matthew Henry on Unsplash.

B.C. animal hospital sees spike in pet marijuana ingestion

If getting high calms you down in the midst of a pandemic, it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for your pet.

An animal hospital in Kelowna, B.C. reported an increase in cases of dogs ingesting some form of THC this month.

Fairfield Animal Hospital told KelownaNow.com that on the Easter long weekend it recorded 13 dogs showing signs of marijuana ingestion at its emergency clinic.

Dr. Jennifer Watt from the hospital said that when dogs ingesting cannabis can be toxic for dogs.

“If a dog gets into THC or is exhibiting symptoms of a drug ingestion it is important to get medical care for them,” Watt said. She added that edibles made with chocolate, nuts, butter and oils can cause other issues.

Watt said that the severity of the case can depend on the individual dog. She explained that too much THC can lower the heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature to dangerous levels, causing a loss of consciousness.

Symptoms of ingestion include incoordination, listlessness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, urinary incontinence, and a startle reaction. So keep your weed away from your poochies, people.