Unsplash photo, by Amirali Mirhashemian

B.C. woman finds sewing needle in poke bowl

A B.C. man is cautioning fellow Oak Bay residents to check their pre-packaged produce for sharp objects after his wife bit into a sewing needle while she was making a poke bowl.

According to the Vancouver Island Free Daily, Josh Stevens said his wife Kim purchased shredded beets, shredded carrots, bean sprouts and Tim’s Nutri-Greens from Red Barn Market, a local grocery store in Victoria, B.C.

But after she mixed the ingredients together and took a bite, she felt something hard.

“At first I asked her if it was her tooth, but she said no, that it was a sewing needle,” Stevens said.

He added that they don’t believe the needle came from their house because neither of them sew.

The couple reached out to Red Barn who apologized to them and also offered to replace the produce. The store said it has pulled and searched similar products.

Red Barn told the Vancouver Island Free Daily that it couldn’t confirm if the needle was from one of their suppliers, but that it has been doing their due diligence.

Stevens said that he doesn’t want to draw negative attention towards the grocery store and just wants to make sure another family doesn’t run into the same potentially dangerous situation.

“It’s not about them,” he said. “We’re just trying to let people know that this happened and that if they bought those products to check.”