The Samara Institute for Democracy issued it’s latest report, “The Real House Lives” on Wednesday, describing an increasingly partisan environment in our politics.
In a series of interviews with former MPs, the report authors encountered serious concerns over the power of part leaders.
Key findings include:
- Extreme partisanship
- A lack of meaningful debate within caucus
- Inability to check party leaders
- Intense peer pressure to be a “team player”
- Diminishment of local parties associations
- Too much control by unelected political staff