Almost seven years after a fire threatened his life, Leo Rocan returned to a Saskatchewan town to thank the firefighters who saved him.
In October, 2012, rescue crews in Unity, Sask., found Rocan in a burning van that he was living in, according to a CBC News story.
He was placed in a medically induced coma and had surgery after the fire caused third-degree burns on 40 per cent of his body. He lost a finger and function in others.
“The whole front of my body is scarred. My legs are usually in pain, my knees are in pain. My hands are throbbing all the time, my arms,” he said.
Rocan said he still doesn’t know how the fire started, but he thinks it could have been caused by a candle he was using to keep himself warm.
After the fire, Rocan moved home to Winnipeg, but has always wanted to return to Unity to thank the people who rescued him from the fire. He got his wish on July 7, when he got to meet with those firefighters.
“It took a long time but I managed to get it done. That was something I had to do for me,” he said.
“I think it helped a lot of the first responders that don’t get the recognition they deserve.”