Montreal senior ends up in hospital after drinking too much licorice tea

It turns out drinking licorice tea is not for the faint-hearted.

A Montreal man had to pay a trip to the emergency room recently after he drank too much licorice tea, according to a new study.

The study, which was published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, said the 84-year-old man had been drinking one or two glasses of licorice tea for the two weeks before he was hospitalized.

The drink was an Egyptian tea that combines licorice root, baking soda and water.

The man had a history of high blood pressure and had a reading of 196/66 mmHg on the day he sought medical help. Health Canada defines high blood pressure as a reading of 140/90 mmHg or above.

He also suffered through headaches, chest pain, a sensitivity to light, and swelling in his calves.

The study found that licorice can exacerbate hypertension those who suffer from the affliction. Health Canada has issued an advisory warning those who suffer with high blood pressure against consuming licorice.

Most of the man’s symptoms got better within a day of treatment.